Monday, January 26, 2015

WWII Plumb Hatchet Project - Post 2

Well this project hit a snag.  The handle I picked out had the kerf cut a little too short and basically I don't have enough room on the kerf to hang the head and carve out the adjustment for the crooked eye.  I've been on the hunt for another handle but haven't found a good one yet.  I did get the head cleaned up a bit though.  I got most of the pitting out of the bit and cheeks and got the edge cleaned up.

Here it is currently


after some file work

now edge with a file

It's pretty sharp with just the file.  You can get a good edge with a file once you know what you are doing.  I'll put the final edge with a stone on once it's hung. 

Will post completed hatchet once I get a good handle. 

Thanks for looking.

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

WWII Plumb Hatchet project - Post 1

I recently put together a hatchet for a friend.  I picked one off the bay that looked good and had some real American history to it.  It's WWII military hatchet.  It ended up having the best pattern for a hatchet I have seen in my opinion.  The geometry is just perfect.  And yes I have owned and used a Gransfors Bruks wildlife hatchet.  This is better.  So here is the finished result of that hatchet I put together.

The cheeks stay thin from the bit to the head.  It is very long for it's size and the transition is spot on.  I was so pleased at how this hatchet turned out that I tasked myself with making another for myself.  And as luck would have it I was able to find one exactly like this one.  It even has the same 1944 year stamp on it.  I thought it would be fun to post this project as I make progress on it.  This head will require a little more work than usual.  This head doesn't look used but it did have rust and some light pitting that I will need to remove to get it in top working order. 

Here is how it came

the bottom eye was punched a little off center.  This was obvious holding the hatchet as it had a tilt in the alignment.  This will be easily correctable with a proper hang job.  I did notice the previous handle had good grain after sawing it off.

Well since the rust was pretty bad on this one I did a vinegar soak for a few days.  Got most of it off.  I then used a dremel tool with a grinding stone to try and remove the pitting.  This was working but I will have to try something different to get the desired result I want.  This last pic isn't the greatest as it was indoors and late.  But here is the progress to this point and the handle I selected  as well. 

I will post updates on this hatchet as I go so check back.  This will be a nice one when it's finished.
Thanks for looking