Wednesday, December 30, 2015

New Crossbow and a Deer Down!!!

Well this was my first crossbow hunt and I am 1:1.  This doe is on the small side and nothing to brag about...Except in great eating.  Which is what I was after.  My three year drought was dragging on like a bad reunion or something.  Glad it's gone and just in time with only a couple weeks in the bow season left.  I was fortunate enough to be gifted a crossbow at Christmas and while they probably make the bow hunting purist throw-up.  I have to say I like them and they do the job fine.  I may do a post later on the bow.  We'll see.  Anyways.  Just a few pics for this one of my spot and the harvest.  The convex Redlore knife worked great in boning out the meat.  It was the perfect size and the point was dropped enough it wasn't an issue.  Couldn't have been more pleased with it. 



The deer came up and was right behind that downed tree to the right in the below pic, and left in the above pic







Getting to work with the redlore!



Well I got it home and just got done butchering it up nice and in the freezer.  It was a great evening to take in and I am happy.  This is probably the smallest deer I have taken and it feels like the hardest earned.  Funny how that goes...

thanks for looking

4 comments:

  1. Congrats! I bet the kids were excited, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of Course. They were disappointed in the antlers department though. LOL!

      Delete
  2. Hey, looks like a good deer to me! Congrats, on the food and the bow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Corey. Next season should be much busier for me. That should mean more outings posts as well. Thanks for checking in!

      Delete