Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Shelter halves, prepping for winter shelter

Well I had the good fortune the other day of an incredible deal on some USGI shelter halves.  I got 3 halves, two poles, and 10 stakes for a price I still can't believe.  Nonetheless these will be a great addition to the fall and winter seasons. The other day I got them out in the backyard to play around with them a little.

First configuration is the pup tent.  (My daughter thought this was very fun to setup and play in)





Next up is with just one half.  I've heard this setup is very nice when it's very cold as you set it up facing the fire so the heat reflects back on you.  You have even setup a reflector blanket or space blanket on the inside wall to aid in the heat reflection.  I'll give it a try this winter and and we'll see how it does.






9 comments:

  1. That looks like a thick material. Canvas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is. I thought they would be heavier than they are. One carried in a pack won't be bad at all. It's duck canvas so it's not as thick as canvas tarps but still very durable.

      Delete
  2. I have several of these myself, albeit the Dutch version, and I like it a lot.
    It is heavier than a polyesther tarp, true, but it is virtually indestructable. Another plus for me are the closed off sides, which help keeping out of the wind too.
    A downside however is the limited space underneath it. If you are a large fellow, you will find it a bit cramped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah they wouldn't be very comfortable for doing task in or anything. They're not very tall so you would have to sit in the center. These were longer than I thought though. I'm 6'4 and there was plenty of leg room for me to lay out in.

      Delete
  3. Great score! Great kit so long as you don't have to hump it too far :) I've used two together as a pup tent but never used one by itself with a long fire, but that's a great idea... kinda' like a Baker tent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these, we used them a lot when I was a younger. I recall a late summer camping trip using these, when the rain wouldn't let up. We put and extreme angle on them so the slope was rather steep. Tucking up hard in the back and watching the rain come in sheets all the while dry in our bags.

    Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used one of these tents a few times. I like the fire-resistant nature and versatility, but as others have mentioned, they can be heavy. I think the total weight of mine was 8 or 10 pounds! Something like that. But I think bringing one shelter half, plus some other lightweight poles and stakes(or improvising them from sticks/saplings) would be a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't weighed it yet but I bet two halves, poles, and stakes would be around the 8-10lbs. I would definitely not take the poles and stakes and just make some out of sticks like you mentioned. The only time I would probably take the whole setup would be on a canoe trip since I wouldn't really have to carry them much, or at all.

      Delete
  6. Hmm. Have fun with this. Love the pics.

    ReplyDelete