Saturday, November 17, 2012

A blessed morning hunt

Today was a good day.  A beautiful crisp morning, about 30 degrees, little wind, and a spot to myself.  I sat in the corner of the field on a slightly elevated hill overlooking the area.


This got started quick.  About 10 minutes into the hunt, it was still dark, but a deer had made it's way out in the far back edge of the field, walking the treeline.  It took awhile before I was finally able to tell it was a buck.  He weaved in and out on the far treeline.  Never offering a shot.  I gave a few grunts at him and he stuck his head out, but again no shot.  


I waited a few minutes and grunted again, then suddenly from my right another buck came trotting right into the field.  He was certainly a good buck so a quick whistle stopped him at a slight quartering away shot, the bullet connected, I and the now 45 year old bolt action had done our jobs.  I was anxious for the shot, but after I watched him go down in the field about 30 yards from where I shot him, I got the shakes for about 15 minutes. 


This is the best buck I've taken.  I'm not too picky on the deer I take as I enjoy the meat, but taking a good buck now and then feels pretty good too.  It was truly a blessed hunt all around.  Couldn't have planned it any better.

Thanks for looking



9 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. I'm so happy for you. I can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! Congratulations on a good buck, good meat, and a great memory that will never fade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate it AG, that's what it's all about...

      Delete
  3. Nice buck, and it'll be delicious. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Corey. I am indeed looking forward to some good eating.

      Delete
  4. Very nice buck!
    Congratulations on a great hunt and thank you for the pictures and story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    My name is John and I have a quick question about your blog! Could you please email me?

    Thank you,

    John

    ReplyDelete